Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Cape.

"Grandma, was he a hero, like Spiderman and Batman?"asked Rihan.
"Haha. Now, how in the world did you find that out?"
"I knew it. I knew it. I knew it". Rihan started running around excitedly.
"So, did Grandpa have a cape?"
Roshni smiled."Yes, he did."

"I don't know, Rosh. He's got to make you swoon, you know. Butterflies-in-the-stomach." Lola remarked.  Roshni sniggered. " And that's how you decide who's perfect for you?" 
"Yeah Yeah. Laugh Laugh. But, I do not want him or whatever it is between us to be ordinary. Out-of-the-world, it should be. Oh! And we should have all these cute things, you know, between us that others wouldn't understand. And, I don't know. It must be heavenly every second of every hour of every day.."
" I get it. I get it. You will settle for nothing less than a Greek God with a cranky brain"
" Who said anything about Greek Gods? Of course, not that I don't prefer the toned bulges.."
"Oye, Lola. There are roughly a billion people on Earth, right?"
"Yeah. So?"
"And supposedly, there's only one perfect guy. What if you don't get him?"
"It might take some time. But, he'll come to me." her friend winked.

All that jumping around must have made him tired, Rihan was sleeping in his bed. Roshni got up and walked towards the dining hall. The framed family photo, hung on one of the walls, caught her attention. She moved closer to the photo. It was looking a bit lopsided. Probably Rihan's handiwork, she thought and yet she couldn't help ponder over how he had reached the frame. It was kept at a height where it would be difficult for him to reach even if he used chairs. She adjusted the frame. The photo was taken  two years ago at her younger daughter's wedding. He wasn't there in the photo. He never did like his photo being taken and always found some excuse to slip away at the last moment.

"Rosssshhhh."
"Lolllaaa."
"I am getting marriedddd today. Damn. It's such a jittery feeling."
"Well, it's to your Prince Charming, the one you have always dreamt about. So, no need for the jitters."
"That's a stupid term. But, this definitely is the dream. A long, blissful relationship ending up in a whirlwind marriage. Hey! You fared okay too. You are going to get engaged."
"Yeah, well. Nothing whirlwind about it. An ordinary arranged marriage with a quiet nerd that my parents got for me."
"I can't imagine you signing off in an arranged marriage with a quiet, nerdish guy. You always do surprise me. What's the twist in this tale and when do I get to meet him? "
" Hehe. No twists there. I am content. I never was up for the butterflies-in-the-stomach thing. And, yeah why not next week?"

Roshni seated herself in the reclining chair in the dining hall. Her thoughts strayed off to her husband, who had passed away an year ago. Pneumonia. She remembered the final stages. He had taken it very calmly and silently like he always did. He did not betray it much but he liked having Roshni around during that time. And she found it comforting to be near him. It was weird not to have him around these days.

" I hate you" She threw the plate at him. He ducked right in time. "And, I don't want to go through this pregnancy." She burst into tears.Seven months into her pregnancy, she had caught a fever. And to add to it, even though she was allowed a maternity leave, she was entrusted with some important work to be done from home for which the deadline was today. He came near and squeezed her hand. "Rest for sometime now. I'll prepare a bowl of soup."  She went and lay down on her bed. As she slowly drifted off into sleep, she could hear him talking on the phone. She could only catch the words 'extend deadline' and 'not well'. 

Her two granddaughters burst into the room and broke her reverie.
"Gayu, I do not understand why you go gung ho about Valentine's day. All those frilly hearts make me puke.
It's just another day for people to make money. "
" But, that's not the point. I mean the money-making and frilly hearts. It's just a day to celebrate relationships. You celebrate womanhood on International Women's Day. Why not celebrate 'love'?"
"Ugh. You are so mushy."
"I am not. C'mon, let's ask grandma."
"Ha. She will support my arguments. I know her well enough."
They turned towards her.
"Hey, Gran.."
She interjected before Gayu could complete the sentence.
"You know, dear. Your grandpa did actually have a cape."
" Kids, let her get some rest. Help me with the chores." Gayu's mom yelled from the next room.
And, so they shuffled past their grandma, resolving to settle their dispute later.

No comments: