Sunday, March 10, 2013

What we leave behind - The invisible hands.

 I am a writer or at the very least, I would like to think of myself as one. And perhaps, the best gift I can give back to my college as I graduate along with my batch would simply be my thoughts. So, here starts a series.

# A swarming horde of NITC-ians surround the Baby Memorial Hospital. A small accident with a student here involved. His really close friends are helping out. While most of the others stand by, to give assistance, if  needed. Not many who have come may know the person well enough but they still do come. Even if it's of no use. Even if it's a mere formality. An impulse of humanity? Showing off? No one's sure.

# Between the main canteen and the administrative building, lies a forgotten piece of land. And it's not just the rusty piece of REC board that has been recently taken off. "In memory of" states the enclosures surrounding a host of dried up plants so far apart from our daily hectic lives.

# I recently had an argument with my friend, who criticised my college by saying that SnehaRagam is conducted for publicity(as are all social initiatives of other cultural fests). I just reflected her statements onto the happiness I saw on those kids' faces on being to able perform, get trophies and have fun. Does motives really matter when what it results in is that kind of happiness?

#Shekharettan, the acting steward of F-Hostel is known for boring the inmates with his long talks. One day, I got caught up in a conversation with him, where he talked about students of the older generation. He talked about how they used to chitchat with him over a cup of tea nearly every day. Vijayettan of MC had said something similar a few weeks back. Shekarettan also described in length to me about the hardships he has to face, his low wages, his court cases and his son. It's obvious that these days, he doesn't have many people to talk to.

And, we would graduate in 46 days, as human beings. Engineers, yes. But, much more as human beings.

No comments: