Friday, January 21, 2011

Mediocrity vs Ambitions.

Now,even before I start my blog,I know there would be loud cries of indignation from different quarters of the mature adult world when they read this.They would comment on the kiddish,idealistic tendencies that I have.

Now,let's see,what the status quo is,in this country of this debate(No,it is not one sided as you might think.)Educated parents around here,send their kid to some expensive school.They force them to sit and study.

And in the end,the kid has only two choices really

1)Engineering.

2)Medicine.

If he is not good enough,he gets bundled off to some arts or literature college,which is supposedly not that great.

Did anybody ask the kid anything?

No.

And,from the very first day,he lands up here,a carrot is tied in front of him and he is made to run somebody else's race.And,when he falls,he gets ignored which means,his entire life is spent around in catching up so that he would get some attention.So that, he won't be looked down upon.

A haunting life.

But,why?A degree on top of another degree.A pack of certificates piled up one after the another,in stuffs that you don't care about.

Oh,you wanted to make an impact in this world?you wanted to become famous?your parents wanted you to become famous?rich?

Nobody including me,would assert that money doesn't matter.It does.But,then when you earn it,why don't you earn it by doing something you are passionate about?And,not something that you got pushed onto.

Around 60 years from now(if we live to see that age),we would glance back at life.Every Kodak moment would count.All the God-I-got-really-fucked-but-I-sailed-through experiences would count.When you get out of your house and when you hear that old friend(grey.frail.beaming) of yours yelling at you for another game of cricket,that would count.The high fives would count.So,would those awesome memories of bunking,yodelling and doing crazy stuff.That awesome life you lived with your sweetheart counts and the messed up disaster of relationships you have had before that would also count.

My 12th grade(read Senior High in my country) Physics tuition teacher was the best that I had.I respect him a lot.He continually asks me to shut myself up in my college library and study day in and day out.But,one day when I visited him on my vacation,after the usual “sit-and-study-and-do-nothing-else”,he started describing his college days. He turned out to be a total wacko,who did mad stuffs at college. And,the laughter that echoed from him,when he related his college days,was what made an impression on me,not the fact that a brilliant guy was sitting there as a 12th grade tuition teacher

And,your family?My favourite tv series would be undoubtedly Castle.There is this terrific scene in that series,where Castle shows Beckett(search Wikipedia to know who they are),a photo of him and his daughter,when she was around 3 years old.He describes how around at that age,he would make sure that at the end of each day, he would take her for a visit to the park.He continues by commenting on the fact that she has grown up and would probably assert her independence.Beckett remarks how his daughter would be asserting her independence,knowing that even if she falls,she would have her best friend(read her dad) behind her to catch hold of her.

Unimportant?Sounds gay or lame or mushy?Really,my friend?


In the end,I am throwing at you,a facebook status that I put up inspired by another comment my friend,Venu put up in his profile,
So,you have one more semester to go before some weird accident happens and you get chucked out of the world.And,you know it.How would you live that semester?rat races do not make up life:P, they seriously don't.Get your perspectives right.

Even if you end up being mediocre,I suspect in the end you wouldn't care two cahoots.

No comments: